1972 january - firemen saves 2 then overcome by smoke
Heroic Fireman Saves 2, Then Is Felled by Smoke . A Detroit fireman saved two elderly persons from a burning house Thursday evening, then collapsed and was rushed to Detroit General Hospital for treatment. , Lt. Jerome Verschaeve, 49, was the first fire fighter inside inside the dwelling at 5727 Cooper, on the city's east side, when Engine Co. 41 arrived on the scene at 8:20 p.m. He kicked In the front door and went searching for the occupants. Verschaeve made two trips inside to rescue George Corbet, 58, and Mrs. Catherine Lazarus, 79. Verschaeve was listed in temporarily serious condition at the hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation. "When I came out, I thought my heart was going to come through my chest," he said at the hospital. Mrs. Lazarus and Corbet, a handyman, also were listed in temporarily serious condition suffering from smoke inhalation. inhalation. The fire, caused by a cigaret In an overstuffed chair, was quickly controlled, but caused extensive damage to the living room and other parts of the home, firemen said.